4.16.2015

Glorious Sunday

My family and I are extremely close. We talk everyday and enjoy a relationship that I'm well aware is super unique and special. 
So this Easter, with myself living in another city,  my sister away at college and father out of town on business, my mom was going to have to spend the holiday by herself.
She was not excited about that. And I didn't want her to spend a holiday that is usually shared with family, alone. So, my lovie and I took the trip a few hours South to surprise my mother for Easter 
(Resurrection Sunday). 
The day before, in sneaky preparation, I made a cake to take to her. Which I was super stoked about. I'd been sharing pictures of all the wonderful confections I'd been baking with my mom these past few weeks, but she hadn't had the opportunity to taste them. So I created a Lemon Cake, layered with lemon curd and blueberries to give to her. I thought the color and fresh taste would be perfect for the season :)



This cake took a while to make just because creating the lemon curd and getting the perfect coloring for the frosting took patience and consistency. But I loved the way it smelled! Fresh lemons and lemon juice were key to making the cake moist and flavorful. So while baking, my entire home smelt of lemony goodness. #WINNING





 The cakes came out Sooooooo000000 soft and moist. So much so that I couldn't allow the layers to set on the cooling rack because they'd stick right to it! Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen, but hey, the cake was delicious so I'm not complaining.



I piped the frosting along the perimeter of each layer. I then spread the lemon curd evenly onto the layer and placed in my blueberries on top of the curd. I have to be real with you and admit that I was planning on baking in the blueberries, ha! That totally slipped my mind so I simply boiled them down in some water and sugar to make a light syrup. Then scooped the berries onto the curd. 

I would totally recommend not forgetting to bake the berries in the cake though! lol Don't be like me guys!


Anywho, she was so happy to see us and I was SUPER excited to spend the day with her! I was lucky enough to see a number of my family members while I was there too. So it was honestly a win all around.
 The church service was amazing and made me miss my home church terribly. There's something special about going home and attending a service in the church you grew up in that is just so heart warming.



After the service we hit up The Cheesecake Factory for some Brunch grubs then headed home to break into that cake. Needless to say it was a hit.
I totally forgot to take a pic of the cake before it was transferred to my mom's cake stand! So excuse the smeared frosting, but you get the idea. Yumtastic.



I cannot put into words how much my family means to me. It was so good to just to be with my mom. Even though we talk everyday, seeing her and feeling her essence is perfection to me.  It was truly a glorious Sunday.
 photo 2cae9a25-9db5-42b9-b0dc-5675a6648ae1_zps0f26c631.png

No comments

Post a Comment

© FINDING LEXMaira Gall